Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Novel Without A Hero.

And with this, and a profound bow to his patrons, the Manager retires, and the curtain rises.
Vanity Fair.
I LOVE THIS BOOK.
It's incredible. I used to watch the 6 hour BBC version every summer, but it wasn't until I opened the book, and read the 'Before the Curtain' until I realized exactly what it meant.
I thought it was vanity because one is beautiful. But it's not... It's a fair! Like a carnival... It's an observation of human frailities, everything that we so mindlessly put on parade. But when we really stop to look at what it is we're doing... It's absurd! What we are willing to put ourselves through to be accepted in society, or even more so to conquer. And it asks the eternal question so few are willing to answer, or even acknowledge:
Which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? Or, having it, is satisfied?